Thursday, October 27, 2005

Let there be light

My childhood Diwalis initially were nothing but a celebration of dejections. Practically, year after year, I have spent Diwalis watching my affluent Marwari neighbors blast the night off, while me and also some of my friends had enough crackers to last only for a maximum of thirty mins. I always used to think that if I start late may be I will be able to finish with them. But that never happened. I was a late starter and an early finisher. And one Diwali, to beat the blues of not having enough crackers we friends thought that we have to make it a joint effort. So what we did was to pool in money and celebrate Diwali together. We used to always buy crackers from a wholesale trader so that we could get maximum discounts. Those were my most memorable Diwalis.
But after I passed out from school, somehow I started feeling that blasting crackers is a waste of money. But one Diwali when I was in my intermediate, my father gave me a brilliant idea. He said, “buy crackers and give them to slum children.” And I did exactly that. It was an awesome experience to see them jump with joy.
After I have started working I have only once spent my Diwali at home in the last five years. Sometimes I have also spent Diwalis in the train watching the whole world celebrate. But this Diwali I am happy that I will be home. Sounds good…. Lights too good…

2 comments:

Gangadhar said...

Hiee Chetan..First time here...
Happy Diwali to you..
And yeah..it's an excellent idea to buy crackers and give it to slum children..I like it...
And me too not interested in spending money on crackers...
Nice blog..

Debabrata said...

There would always be people who have the hide of a rhino. Even after the Delhi blasts did the celebrations stop?