Thursday, July 29, 2010

My first unsuccessful job application

This incident dates back to 1993. The year I passed out from school. I was like any other normal 14-year old who thought he was grown up enough to take his own decisions. And since I had got the bare minimum to apply for any government job, I was convinced it was time for me to start the search. So, the hunt began for a job and not the dream job. In those days, getting a job was a dream.

I used to daily cycle to the district court compound (known as kacheri at Balasore, my home town in Orissa) and visit the vendors who used to make a living out of selling forms and envelops for government jobs in Railways, Army, Public Service Commission and Public Sector Banks. Although, jobs for matriculates were not many, I found one which was for "Drivers in Indian Army." I read the eligibility criteria and found that apart from the age, I was 14 years old, I had all other qualifications. I bought the form with the faint hope that "the authorities might relax the minimum age criterion in case of brilliant candidates like me."

When I was filling the application form at home, my father came to know about it and instead of scolding me for my "lofty" ambitions, he encouraged me to fill the application form and send it before the deadline. I managed to successfully post the application in time. And then began the long wait for a favorable outcome which never happened. I was upset but not for long as I got busy with my college admissions.

Now when I look back, I thank my father for having the foresight to teach a important few lessons so early in my life. Through this incident I learnt to fill job applications. He could have always told me that such a job was not for me, but by not doing so he taught me the value of a job - rather any job.

For some, failure is the pillar of success. For me, any failure is a window to have another go at what you aspire for. And for my father, however, my aspirations for the nonsense always made some sense. And I realize all this now when I can see the pattern.

17 comments:

Sergio DS said...

Luck for your jobo
regards

Shobhita said...

Your articles are brilliant.. would love to read more of u :)

Stephen said...

Singer and Rapper at http://stephenchuah.blogspot.com/

terokai seni said...

now its good ending, hope so

Unknown said...

Simple Copy And Paste Jobs At www.visionjobcare.com

Are you really fed up with recession and want to overcome this. If you can manage the time than SMART SOLUTION will show you the way where you can earn from HOME. For more details E-mail us at support.visionjob@gmail.com
Visit : http://www.visionjobcare.com/XXX.html

broccollipie said...

I like potatoes:
www.aceronvault.co.cc

alex said...

Hey, you want to have higher page rank and more visits? Let's do a link exchange! Enter Here and follow the steps!

twistedglobe said...

www.tourismworlds.com

Graham said...

Interesting. Dropped out of school??

http://letthenonsensebegin.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

louis vuitton purse selection
louis vuitton vernis purse for sale in austin
monogram canvals louis vuitton purse ebay

web30blogs said...

very interesting ...

worldamazingfacts

adward said...

there are many job sites on internet like-----
www.monster .com
www.naukari.com


Online Shopping

Pi said...

I like Your articles !

Pi said...

I like Your articles !

roye said...

I found this is an informative and interesting post for I think it is very useful and knowledgeable. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. In fact your creative writing ability has inspired me.
Cheap Flights to Harare
Flights to Harare
Harare Flights

JohnOliver said...

This is really a good read for me, Must admit that you are one of the best bloggers I ever saw. Thanks for posting this informative article.

Actual Tests

Unknown said...

Office 2010 to confirm that the patch to remove the XML functionality for the Microsoft Office 2010 for Mac version of the Microsoft Office 2010 Download