Monday, October 03, 2005

What’s in a name?

Although this was a very obvious observation on the part of people who know both these below characters, it didn’t strike my mind earlier than today. So far, I have known two Jayantis in my life. One the editor of the newspaper Deccan Chronicle, who happened to be my boss during my stint there and the other, my friend’s fiancé, whom I know for quite some time. They share the same name minus the suffixes and the prefixes. But the difference between them is almost as huge as the climate of Chennai and Bangalore. Chennai is hot, humid and unforgiving just like the self-confessed journo, Miss A T Jayanti. And Jayanti Verma is cool, friendly and very much open to life and considerate towards even virtual strangers like an autowallah. The moral of the story is: Not every Amitabh is a Big B and not every Bin Laden is a terrorist. They are just names. One might name these names as brands or even institutions but at the end of the day they are just names.

No comments: